This is Piggles (also known as Hannah), one of our 5-year-old kitties.
Some of you may know we've been dealing without consistant air conditioning in our house for about two weeks now. Luckily it's been fairly mild outside, so we have the windows open most of the time.
Our windows open at both the top and the bottom. We only open the bottom a little, because the kitties like to get in the windowsills otherwise. Well, it started raining this morning, so I went around closing the windows. I noticed that the screen was missing from the bedroom window next to Andy's side of the bed. This isn't necessarily unusual, because our screens pop out regularly. However, this one was in there fairly tight, and I got nervous because I found Piggles sitting in there the other day. I had chased her out and closed the window a little more. So Andy and I searched the house for her for a good 30 minutes.
Piggles apparently is a contortionist. Sometime in the night, she had squeezed herself into the windowsill and was enjoying a little snooze when the screen popped out...out of this second story window. She finally got her chance to deploy the pouch all cats carry on their bellies...she flew.
Andy found her in a tiny spot under the front of the house where the window juts out a bit unto the bushes. Luckily he thought to look there. We had to drag her out, but she wasn't fighting. She was nice and dry, and within a minute of coming in the house, she was head butting our hands for a scratch. I almost got a purr out of her. She's perfectly fine...no limping, no wet fur. Just a little shaken. Of our two cats, she's always been wary of the outside (they only go out in a cat carrier to the vet).
We said she didn't want to be outdone by her sister, who a couple months ago gave us a scare, and used up a life, by being in kidney failure. Now they're both down to about 8 lives.
I'm very proud of her for being so brave and finding a safe place. She sure did land on her feet (pun intended). Give your pets a snuggle today for in honor of Piggles. She'll sure be getting a lot of snuggles today.

No comments:
Post a Comment