Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Sunday, May 11, 2008

My First Mother's Day

I had a pretty good Mother's Day. Andy took care of Sophie all day, allowing me to indulge in the one thing I miss most from the pre-baby days...laying in bed reading. It was wonderful. I woke up and picked up my book. Later, I took a nap when I got tired. As great as that was, though, it wasn't enough to replace the awesomeness that is my little girl.

Having a baby makes me appreciate my own mother more. I remember what I was like growing up (not the worst kid, but I had my moments), and I know Sophie will do some of the same things. Hopefully I can remember what was going through my mind when I was that age and be sympathetic to her need to be independent or learn things the hard way. My mom was pretty good in that she let me explore but still gave me boundaries. She trusted me as a teenager, which I think went a long way to keeping me from doing anything too terrible (besides smoking cigars with my friends when we were old enough to buy them). Even now, I know it'll be hard to let my kids stay out late and not wonder if they're safe and making the right choices. So, thanks Mom for having faith in me.

I also think Mother's Day should be a day to thank all those people who support us in this journey of growing and teaching a new person. I would have been in trouble without the advice from experienced mothers (especially my sister). I appreciate the love and support from my friends without children...I know you can't get as excited as me when I talk about Sophie taking a good nap or laughing at me. However, it makes me excited to just have someone to tell, so thanks for listening. I promise to listen to all your stories if you have children one day.

Happy Mother's Day!!!!





1 comment:

shelly said...

you're welcome for listening...thanks for the shout-out :)